There is one constant to all online businesses: LEADS.
Leads are the lifeblood of your business and the indispensable fuel of any fortune.
If you are unable to create a system or activity that brings you a sufficient quantity and quality of leads on a steady basis, you cannot control your own destiny. Without leads, your income will be like riding a roller coaster–suffering peaks and valleys, slumps and droughts. Without leads you most likely will experience bouts of anxiety and stress for as long as you are in business.
Unfortunately, this is how most entrepreneurs live and this is why most of them fail.
New online businesses fail to launch because of poor lead generation.
Hot start-ups charge up then crash and burn because they do not have leads steadily flowing in.
Established businesses also fail to increase revenue due to steady leads flowing in
As a Christmas gift to you, I will share a little direct mail secret most small businesses do not apply:
Use postcards to market your business!
Postcards are inexpensive to print and mail but can produce big results! Following is a starting list of some effective ways to use postcards:
- Use successful advertisements: Print your best advertisement on a postcard and send it to your target market. You can leverage work that has already produced for you, but distribute it inexpensively.
- Promote a free item to get response. Send out a postcard with a free offer for a special report. Sell the report with the postcard and direct interested prospects to a pre-recorded message that keeps selling the free report. The recording asks the prospect to leave contact information to get the report. The combination of a response generating free offer by postcard and a non-threatening voice mail message will create a 24-hour a day automated lead generation machine for you. All you do is pick up leads by listening to your voice mails. You can even set up your voice mail so it alerts you every time you have a new lead.
- Print an advertorial on the postcard: An advertorial is an advertisement that looks like a news article. Advertorials are effective even today because they credentialize a marketing message. Postcards are an inexpensive way to promote with advertorials.
- Promote your website: Using multiple media for marketing is more effective than relying on one method. Many small businesses market using a combination of print and the Internet. A postcard can be used to drive prospects to a website and a more comprehensive sales message. If you search the web for postcard website announcements, you will find many companies that cater to this need.
- Reactivate inactive customers: Announce a special offer to customers who have been inactive. It is much easier to get business from someone who bought from you in the past. Postcard mailings are an inexpensive beginning to mining the gold available from reactivating old customers.
One last tip: if you use non-standard postcard sizes and are not working with a printer or someone knowledgeable in post office rates and regulations, you could waste a fortune in printing postcards that aren't able to be mailed. So, stay with the standard size, if possible, or check with the post office before printing.
In the series, 12 Days of Christmas + 12 Days of Business Tips